I read an interesting blog post by @EducatedSpender called 10 Tips to Save Money When Buying Cheese and it inspired me to write this companion article. I spend a good part of my time thinking about cheese and I feel like it would be unfair not to share my gift. Here are some of the ways cheese can make your life better:
1. Added to Apple Pie – Grandmas apple pie is a classic, but even a classic can be improved when eaten with some sharp cheddar cheese. A more guilty, trailer trashy secret is apple pie topped with Cheese Whiz. No judgement.
2. Cheese and raspberry jam – Who needs toast. Slice up any kind of cheese and top it with your favorite sweet spread.
3. Cheese and chocolate ice cream – What’s better than one Canadian dairy treat? How about 2 dairy treats together. I like cheddar and chocolate, but you can match all kinds of cheese with almost any frozen dairy. Endless possibilities.
4. Substitute grated parmesan anywhere you might use bread crumbs – This works for chicken fingers, fried chicken, chicken parmesan…. Hmmm dairy even makes chicken better.
5. Swiss Cheese and Potato Chip Sandwich – White bread, butter, Ruffles chips, Swiss cheese. Enough said. For a Thanksgiving variation use a white dinner roll, turkey and gravy. Can’t wait for Thanksgiving!
Here’s a secret every bro chef should know – no dish requires more than 7 ingredients and measuring spoons are for girls. You be the judge of how sweet or how cheesy you want to make it based on your mood.
6. Caramel Cheddar Ice Cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream – don’t be skimpy.
- Caramel – A little’s good, more’s better.
- Shredded cheddar – do I need to say it?
Get it in the bowl and mash that bad boy together…..
7. Asiago cheese crisps
- Bacon grease, AKA healthy fat
- Grated Asiago cheese
- Optional Bacon
Grease in the pan, add the cheese and cook until crispy good. The bacon doesn’t get added, but it goes with everything.
8. Cheesy Taco Shell
- Grated cheddar cheese
You probably didn’t think tacos could get better, but more cheese makes it happen! You will need to put some thought into them, there are a few decisions to make. If you’re having cheddar in the taco, use mozzarella for the shell. I know it’s seems intuitive, but not everyone knows. Melt a cheese pancake and transfer to a paper towel till it cools enough to hold together and then hang it over a wooden spoon to cool the rest of the way. It’s like magic.
9. Cheese and Bacon Pie – Trumpets sound for this one.
- 1 baked pastry shell
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Large tomato, sliced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten (not cause they’re bad, just cause they’re eggs)
- Sour cream
- Flour – about a handful
- Salt and Pepper
Sprinkle bacon on the pie crust. Top with tomato and some cheese. Mix everything else together and pour on top of the bacon. Now, you don’t have to, but I add more cheese and then sprinkle with Paprika. Bake around 350° for 45 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting unless you’re super hungry then dig in!
To go with all this dairy goodness, you are going to need a drink, and I have a cheese for that.
10. Cottage Cheese Pina Colada
- 1 cup cottage cheese – you can use low-fat, but REALLY?
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup milk
- Ice cubes
- Shredded coconut
Throw that all in a blender and blend till smooth or till the motor gets to hot to touch. That usually means it’s done.
The beautiful thing about cheese is that there are so many options. A wise man once gave me some great advice- You don’t want to reach the end of your life and say “I wish I had eaten more cheese”.